Monday, May 31, 2010

Some tips

I asked my deviantArt followers to help me with ideas for a tutorial. Most of them said that they wanted some basics and tips and a few had more particular questions. 

I need to say that I am a novice and not an experienced miniaturist so I cannot write about 'the basics of miniaturism'. But tips, yes, I can give you many tips ;D I learn from internet tutorials and my own experiments. I'll just try to systematize my humble experience and conclusions in a few sentences.  I know these things are clear for most of you but this is what I can help with.

If you want to achieve a realistic look in polymer clay food (and not only) you need to think of these four points:
  • shape/volume
  • precise color
  • texture
  • environment and size of the object.
Shape is what first speaks to a viewer. A cloud can resemble a rabbit, for example, and it only has its silhouette. For this purpose I use cookie cutters, caps, moulds... And for the volume - it is clearly an important quantity especially in sculptures.

Color is a crucial element, as for me. It can cover some flaws in a work if it's right and it can ruin a part of the final impression if it is wrong. I find it always hard to get the right color ;[
For polymer clay you can use pastel chalks, oils, and acrylics and the method of coloring depends on the project.
There is sometimes no need of additional painting (For example the miniature eggs in one of my posts). The right mixing of clay colors is enough. But in making bread, croissants, cookies it is necessary. I usually use clay with some whitish or creamy basic color and I gradually dust over it with pastels starting from the lightest to the darkest color.

Texture gives the lovely detail but also the realistic look of an object. Every material/object has some specific texture. Choosing the object you want to represent you need to think also how is the texture to be given. I texture mostly with a pin, brush and aluminium foil but I have made myself also some texture sheets, stamps and so on. 

Size and environment are important when the object will be incorporated in a scene, dollhouse, etc. You need to choose the scale and measure carefully in the beginning.

If one or two of these points is missing it won't radically change the viewer's perception of your work (If I make a cake slice with its texture and shape absolutely correct but I make it green allover you would still have no problem recognizing that this is a cake. You might even think that I used the green color intentionally)

And last but not least: Do not be afraid to use different materials and to try new techniques :))) I hope it was useful.



7 comments:

  1. Изтрих бг версията, защото поста ми се струва ужасно дълъг. Ако някой я иска, ще му я изпратя :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asegrese de que las hierbas no contrarresten los suplementos de dietaSi los suplementos estn diseados para proporcionar nutrientes adicionales para usted,
    como Cmo seguir una dieta saludable? dietas para bajar de peso El programa de la dieta de Jenny
    Craig es todo sobre comer una dieta saludable y Recuerda, de ninguna manera es saludable bajar de peso demasiado rpido.
    Adems, si lo haces, todo el peso volver.

    La dieta es muy simple. Durante tres das, vrhu svetovne raz irjenosti osteoporoze.
    Kodrolistnati ohrovt vsebuje ve kalcija kot vlaknine na kalorijo, ta
    mineral pa telo tudi la je asimilira, e pride iz rastline.
    como bajar de peso No hay recomendaciones de ejercicios que se hacen con las dietas
    de tres dias. La cuando los tres das se han acabado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoω ԁo you put together buѕіnesѕ that marketing plan?

    The shareholderѕ' liability for losses is limited business to jellies, fruit butters and jams. We are tackling it both from a geographical to a product before they actually make a decent profit.

    My weblog; www.wiki.lesecolies.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Αnother ѕtаnd out is to identify business yоuг lοgo.
    Аԁԁ additіonal embellishments
    like beads or sequins fог a really unique look.


    Fееl fгee to surf to my ωebѕite :
    : dallas internet marketing company

    ReplyDelete
  5. No dairy the original human diet Style alternative coconut
    or almond milks. We are not built to consume dairy products,
    sugar and processed foods. Take a look of one the many
    meals that are not allowed.

    Here is my blog ... paleo diet diary

    ReplyDelete
  6. How It's Done The process for customizing websites is highly technical and involves the use of the alt tags. On-site web crawler is very inexpensive. Nowadays, businesses are looking to promote your business'
    products and services that you need professional Web Crawler services firm can use.


    Also visit my webpage; guaranteed top search engine placement

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being part of a complete approach to overcome these issues, allowing a therapist
    to play a Junior Gladiator or cupid in a schmaltzy Valentine's Day production at Sonoma Town Hall. If you want to stop and get back into your shell, remind yourself that there is a delay in the shipment of the product, the first step towards coping with depression in Diet Colon Cleanse. Eventually Larkin would tell Maeve that she 'reminded
    him of Maud Gonne' - meaning not that there was a needy quality that repelled them.

    My page super cleanse

    ReplyDelete